Out of stock
Today we are offering for sale an all-original bronze letter opener, commissioned by William Skinner & Sons Mill to celebrate their centennial anniversary! The Skinner Mill was founded in Holyoke, MA, in 1848 and specialized in silk and satins. With an unlimited source of power and inexpensive immigrant labor available in Holyoke, the silk production and textile manufacturing business grew and profits increased. William Skinner remained at the head of the firm until his death in 1902 when control was turned over to his two sons William C. and Joseph. The William Skinner & Sons silk and satin mills were earning sales revenues in the millions of dollars and employing over 1,000 people at the time of William Skinner’s death in 1902. As manufacturer of “Skinner’s Satins” he came to be widely known, and his own success was extended philanthropically to Holyoke and its people. The family maintained a residence in Holyoke at their home, Wistariahurst Mansion, for eighty years. The Skinners donated the property to the city of Holyoke in 1959. In 1961 the Skinner family sold the business, with all their trademarks and patents, to Indian Head Mills. This exquisite letter opener is intricately cast in bronze and made by Whitehead & Hoag (1982-1959), a preeminent American manufacturer of advertising novelties. One side shows the original Skinner mill in 1848, while the other side shows the gigantic, multi-building mill complex in 1948. The letter openers reads “one hundredth anniversary/full century of leadership in textiles”. The letter opener is in very good antique condition, with the usual light wear and patina that comes with age. The is a slight bent on the tip of the opener. This is a wonderful opportunity to own a commemorative piece of Massachusetts and New England industrial and advertising history. A handsome and elegant piece that will make a wonderful addition to any fine collection. Fresh to the market!
Measurements: Length: 9 1/8″ Width: 1 3/8″ Depth: 1/4″
© 2018 RI Antiques Co