Today we are delighted to offer for sale a rare and beautiful pair of antique KPM porcelain painted plates! A bit of info on KPM:
The Royal Porcelain Factory in Berlin (German: Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur Berlin, abbreviated as KPM), also known as the Royal Porcelain Manufactory Berlin and whose products are generally called Berlin porcelain, was founded in 1763 by King Frederick II of Prussia (known as Frederick the Great). Its actual origins, however, lie in three private enterprises which, under crown patronage, were trying to establish the production of “white gold” (i.e. porcelain) in Berlin from the mid-18th century onwards.
The company logo is a cobalt blue sceptre, which is stamped (painted prior to 1837) on every piece. All painted pieces produced by KPM are signed by the painter. KPM is still producing to this day; each piece of dishware and decorative porcelain is entirely unique.
KPM has produced a number of dishware forms and porcelain figurines throughout its history. Some forms have hardly changed their shape in over 200 years of production. Frederick the Great, who, as the owner, jokingly referred to himself as his own “best customer”, was under the spell of the Rococo style during his life; a culmination of this artistic style can be seen in his castles.
To this day, the most successful designs of the 1930s are the Urbino, Urania and Arkadia (originally a tea set designed in honor of KPM’s 175th anniversary) created by Trude Petri. The Arkadia medallions were created by Siegmund Schütz and the Urania set (with the same basic form as the Arkadia) did not enter production until after the war, as was also the case with the Arkadia table set. Porcelain figurines of different styles corresponding to each era have always been created under the guidance of the master workshop, including the modern animal sculptures, such as the miniature Buddy Bear or the Knut Bear.
This elegant and ornate porcelain set of plates is the epitome of KPM’s outstanding craftsmanship and style. The plates are superbly crafted and detailed of porcelain with a lightly-scalloped edge. The pieces feature a lavish and fanciful Rococo floral vine rocaille gilded border which is reminiscent of the plasterwork inside the Austrian Rococo Schönbrunn Palace where famous and beautiful Empress Sissi resided. The rococo border is accented with pleasant and pale celadon painted panels. The pieces-de-resistance are the immaculately hand-painted central scenes depicting mallard and duck couples with beautiful plumage, resting in a naturalistic forest and marshland. The plates are marked on the bottom with KPM’s orb and cross mark used from 1832 until 1837; additionally each is also marked with the early representation of the Royal scepter mark which was introduced in 1837.
The plates presents beautifully and are in excellent antique condition, with very minimal display wear and patina commensurate with age. There is very minimal loss to gilding and no chips, cracks, or repairs. This superb example of German porcelain artistry will make an outstanding addition to any fine and well-curated European antique porcelain collection…Fresh to the market!
Dimensions/ea: 9-3/4″ in diameter; 1-1/16″ in height