We have the pleasure of offering a sterling silver vanity dresser set made in the early twentieth century by Reed & Barton of Taunton, Massachusetts, in their Hepplewhite pattern (first introduced in 1907). Here in southern New England we have a strong manufacturing heritage, which includes everything from locomotives to silverware. Taunton, Massachusetts, used to be known as “Silver City” for the silver manufacturers there, and Reed & Barton was its most famous silversmith. The company opened in 1824 and remained privately owned until filing for bankruptcy in 2015.
Each piece of this vanity or dresser set has the Reed & Barton maker’s mark as well as “STERLING 160.” Each piece also has an elegant “PBB” monogram, which adds a bit of mystery as to the wealthy Rhode Island woman who owned this set a century ago. Was she a member of the Brown family? (This set also came with a matching pair of Reed & Barton Hepplewhite sterling candlesticks, which we are listing as a separate auction.) The pieces are:
· Large clear 12-sided cut-glass jar with sterling lid. 3.75” in height, 4.25” in diameter. Sterling lid weighs 62.4 grams and is gold washed on the underside.
· Pair of small clear 8-sided cut-glass jars with sterling lids. 2.125” in height, 2.25” in diameter. Sterling lids are gold washed on the underside and together weigh 39.7 grams.
· Sterling mirror is 9.75” long and 5.5” wide and weighs 297.7 grams. The mirror has beveled glass and is 4.5” in diameter.
· Sterling hair brush measures 8.875” in length and 3” in width, has 1” bristles and weighs 133.2 grams.
· Sterling shoe(?) brush is 6.625” in length, 2.5” in width, has 1.375”-long bristles, and weighs 133.2 grams.
· Sterling lint(?) brush is 5.375” in length, 1.625” in width, has 1.25”-long bristles, and weighs 68 grams. It sits on a 7.625”x3.375” sterling tray weighing 90.7 grams.
· Sterling and suede manicure nail buffer measuring 4.75” in length, 1.5” in width, 2.25” in height, and has a sterling handle that weighs 39.7 grams. It sits in a tray measuring 7.25”x3” and weighs 82.2 grams.
· Sterling handle shoe horn measuring 9” in length and 1.5” in width.
· Sterling handle nail file measuring 7.375” in length.
· Sterling handle button hook measuring 7.625” in length.
· Sterling handle cuticle pusher measuring 4.625” in length.
· Sterling handle cutting tool measuring 5.625” in length.
This set is in very good antique condition, with the typical wear and some small dimples in the metal from typical use and handling. The hair brush has some dents on the side of the frame and the top of the bristle bed has separated slightly from the sterling frame. The mirror has its original thick beveled glass. Every item in this set can be used as originally intended, which puts it into a very rare and wonderful category of antiques. If you’re looking to add a bit of Edwardian elegance to your boudoir, this vanity set would make an excellent addition to your collection! ______________________
We List Many Great Hand Picked New England Antique and Collectible Finds on eBay EVERY WEEK – AUCTION STYLE – ALWAYS STARTING AT $9.99 With NO RESERVE. Click on “Follow This Seller” in the top right Seller Information box to be kept updated.
Your Satisfaction is Our Highest Priority:
We work hard to earn your Positive Feedback and 5-Star Rating on every transaction. If there is ever anything that would cause you to give us any lower rating, please contact us first and we’ll gladly make things right!
Please Take a Moment to Read About Our Shipping Policies:
U.S. Buyers: Please understand that our handling cost includes insurance. Thus shipping on higher value items may seem high. Rest assured that we NEVER mark up shipping costs of any kind – we just pass along whatever we have to pay on your behalf. All basic shipping materials are provided at our expense as a courtesy. On rare occasion, if your item is particularly fragile or valuable we may need to pass along the actual cost of special packing materials we purchase just for your item. We typically offer you at least 2 shipping options: Priority Mail for fastest, safest shipment and Parcel Post for slower cheaper service. Make sure to choose the option that suits you best. In some cases there is little to no difference in cost between the two services in which case it only makes sense to use Priority Mail. Certain large or unusually shaped items require special packaging by a professional. In this case we must pass along the packing fees to you, but we still never mark up these services. In the unlikely event that we ever accidentally overcharge you we will automatically refund your overpayment via PayPal provided the overcharge exceeds $3.00.
International Buyers: are welcome. Please understand that we use eBay’s Global Shipping Program for all shipments outside of the U.S. Therefore we are unable to make any changes to shipping arrangements once the auction ends. Since eBay sets the cost for shipping, you’ll need to deal with them directly with any inquiries about shipping. As sellers, we don’t even know what they’re charging you. The shipping fee you pay us only covers the cost of shipment to eBay’s shipping center in Kentucky, USA. We do not fill out customs documents, select carriers, determine shipping times, etc.
Your items are important to us, so we are very careful in our packing and use the best materials and take our time to make certain that it arrives in the condition in which it left here! We normally ship smaller items to eBay’s shipping center using Priority Mail. Packages larger than 12″ in any dimension usually ship via Parcel Post to save you money. All of our shipping cost include full ensurance within the U.S. In many cases, only partial ensurance is available to countries outside of the U.S. We will always purchase the maximum available on your behalf. We’ll purchase eBay’s ShipCover for you only when necessary. It is important that you understand that ShipCover ironically doesn’t cover the cost of shipping, so in the unlikely event of loss or damage, you, the buyer will forfeit that cost. Hopefully eBay will fix this problem in the future but for now, your bid constitutes your acceptance of these terms.
Returns: We will accept returns within fourteen days of your receipt of the item only if the item is materially misrepresented. All returns are made at the buyer’s expense.
Track Page Views WithAuctiva’s FREE Counter
© 2018 RI Antiques Co